The result is very rewarding: The almond crust is flaky, the almond cream is rich with hint of rum, but not too sweet. The tartness of the apples offset the richness of the cream. We couldn’t wait, decided to dig in 5 minutes after it was out of the oven, and the four of us finished more than 3/4 tart in one serving. This recipe is a keeper!
Apple Tart with Almond Cream Recipe
1 cup cake flour
5 tbsp ground almond (with skin)– toasted
3 tbsp sugar
5 tbsp unsalted butter (room temp.)
2 tbsp beaten egg (see note below in almond cream ingredients)
1 tbsp cake flour
2/3 cup ground almond(with skin)– toasted
1/3 cup brown sugar
6 tbsp unsalted butter (room temp.)
1 tsp rum
1 beaten egg(I beat in a bowl, scoop 2 tbsp for tart shell plus bit extra for brushing tart edges, and used the remaining for almond cream)
4 medium golden delicious apples
fresh lemon juice of 1 lemon
4 tbsp butter
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
To make apple filling:
- Peel apples, Cut in halves and remove stems. Remove core using a melon ball scooper. Put apples in a big bowl and sprinkle generously lemon juice, toss to coat apples with juice.
- Melt butter in a frying pan. Add sugar and cinnamon, stir to combine. Continue to cook the sauce on med. high heat until it turns to med. caramel color. Remove from heat. Arrange apples halves(discard lemon juice), standing up around the pan and in the middle, tuck in apples tightly as they will shrink during cooking. Return to med. heat and cook until the bottom half is colored. Using a spoon gently turn apples up side down to cook the other half. About 20-25 minutes total cooking time.
- Scoop out apples. If there’s still lots of liquid in the frying pan, continue to cook down the sauce until it thickens. Pour the thickened sauce over apples.
- When the apples cools down completely, slice into 1/2 inch thick wedges.
To make tart shell:
- Combine cake flour and ground almond then set aside. Using a whisk, cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Slowly add beaten egg, whisk to combine.
- Sift in 1/3 of flour mixture. Using a spatula gently mix the flour on the top, then press down the flour to the bottom of the bowl to combine. Repeat with the remaining flour in 2 batches. When all mixture starts to form a dough, take it out and shape it to a ball with both hands (avoid kneading the dough!).
- Put the round dough between 2 pieces of plastic wrap, roll it out large enough to fit tart pan. Remove plastic wrap and transfer the dough to tart pan and fold inwards any extra dough so all sides have same thickness. Chill in freezer for 20 minutes.
- Brush the edge with egg wash, prick the bottom and side of tart and blind bake at preheated 350°F oven for 10-12 minutes until edge is slightly brown. Cool the tart in the tart pan.
- Cream butter and brown sugar with a whisk until fluffy. Slowly add beaten egg and whisk to combine.
- Add ground almond. Using a spatula, mix until all incorporated. Sift in cake flour and mix gently until just combined. Add rum then mix gently to combine.
- Pour filling into baked cool tart shell. Smooth the surface and arrange apple slices on the top.
- Bake in preheated 350°F oven for 35-40 minutes until almond cream is nicely browned. Cool tart in the pan on the rack for 10 minutes before removing tart pan. Serve warm.