I meant to make tiramisu muffins with mascapone cheese or cream cheese filling, but I ran out of cheese. Also, I might have put a bit too much chocolate and/or too little instant espresso coffee powder because the coffee is not very strong here. The muffins are a little dense to my liking too. Well, there’s always next time…
Chocolate and Coffee Muffins (makes 12 pieces)
3/4 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 tbsp instant espresso powder
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup toasted chopped walnuts
1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup cappuccino chips
1 stick (4 oz) unsalted butter– melted and cooled
3/4 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease muffin pans with cooking spray.
- In a big bowl, sift flour, sugar, espresso powder, baking powder and salt. Add in walnuts, chocolate chips and cappuccino chips. Stir to mix well.
- Add egg to the milk, whisk to blend well.
- Pour egg mixture and melted butter into flour mixture. Use a spatula, gently fold the mixture to just combined (do not over fold).
- Spoon batter into muffin pans. Bake for 22-25 minutes. Transfer to cool on a rack.