I accidentally bought some hot cocoa mix and it has been sitting in my pantry for a long time. This is a good way to use up the hot cocoa mix. The mix is hazelnut chocolate flavor but we didn’t taste hazelnut flavor at all; my kids tasted coffee flavor instead ?!… The cake came out a little dry, next time I will try add another tablespoon of water to the batter. Sugar can be down by one tablespoon too since there’s sugar in the cocoa mix already.
Cocoa Mix Chiffon Cake
Ingredients (egg yolk mixture):
4 egg yolks
4 tbsp sugar– should try 3 tbsp next time
3 tbsp water– should try 4 tbsp next time
4 tbsp cooking oil
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup cake flour
3 tbsp hot cocoa mix (I used hazelnut chocolate flavor)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
Ingredients (egg white mixture):
4 egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
4 tbsp sugar
- Preheat oven 335°F. Combine flour, hot cocoa mix, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
- Whisk egg yolks and sugar until fluffy and pale in color. Add oil, water, and vanilla extract. Mix well.
- Sift in flour mixture in and mix until well blended, in 3 batches.
- Whip egg whites until foamy, add cream of tartar and whip for a little while. Gradually add in sugar and whip on high speed till peaks form or meringue stage (reduce to med speed later to avoid big air bubbles).
- FOLD IN 1/3 of egg white into egg yolk mixture gently with a rubber spatula until just blended. FOLD IN remaining 2/3 of egg white into the egg yolk mixture. Take care not to over blended.
- Pour the batter into a chiffon cake pan. Tap the pan on counter top 1-2 times to release big air pockets and bake for 40-45 minutes. Do not open the oven door while it’s baking or the cake won’t rise.
- Invert the cake IMMEDIATELY after baking to let cool. Remove the cake from the pan when it is completely cool.