I found this recipe on Baking Mum but changed the ingredients a little. The cake has a very subtle cheese flavor even with 2/3 block of cream cheese in it. The cake is not as light as my pandan chiffon cake, don’t know if it’s because of too much cream cheese or not enough eggs?… Lots of big air bubbles too( I bang the cake pan only once)– should band the cake pan a couple more times before into the oven.
Cream Cheese Chiffon Cake Recipe
Ingredients (egg yolk mixture):
1/3 cup milk
6 oz cream cheese (2/3 block)
2 tbsp butter
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
4 egg yolks
1/4 cup sugar
4 tbsp cooking oil
1 cup cake flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
Ingredients (egg white mixture):
4 egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1/3 cup sugar
- Preheat oven 325°F. Warm up milk, cream cheese, butter and vanilla extract. Stir until well blended and let cool.
- Sift together cake flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Whisk egg yolks and sugar until fluffy and pale in color. Add cream cheese mixture and oil. Mix until well blended. Add sifted flour mixture until well combined.
- Whisk egg whites until foamy, add cream of tartar and beat for a little while. Gradually add in sugar and beat on high speed till peaks form (reduce to med speed later to avoid big air bubbles).
- FOLD IN 1/3 of egg white into egg yolk mixture gently with a spatula until just blended. FOLD IN remaining 2/3 of egg white into the egg yolk mixture. Take care not to over blended.
- Pour the batter into a chiffon cake pan. Bang the pan on hard surface 1-2 times to release air bubbles and bake for 30-35 minutes. Do not open the oven door while it’s baking or the cake won’t rise.
- Invert the cake IMMEDIATELY after baking to let cool. Remove the cake from the pan when it is completely cool.