Chocolate Belgian Waffles (makes 7 round waffles)
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 egg yolks
1 3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup cooking oil
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 egg whites
2 tbsp sugar
- Sift flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt into a big mixing bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg yolks, milk, cooking oil and vanilla extract to blend well. Pour yolk mixture to flour mixture all at once. Use a hand whisk to mix until batter is smooth.
- Whip egg whites and sugar until the peak forms. Fold in whipped egg whites into the batter in 2 batches. Take care not to over mix the batter, otherwise the waffles will be dense. Cook on waffle iron as directed in the instructions. Extras can be frozen for quick breakfast.
- Waffle batter can be prepared the night before and refrigerated. Let batter sit in room temperature for 1 hour before cooking.
- Because unsweetened cocoa powder is used so I increase amount of sugar to 2 tbsp. If you eat the waffle plain you might taste a little bitterness from cocoa powder, but the waffles taste perfect with maple syrup, whipping cream and berries.
- Choosing a good waffle iron is very important for making good fluffy waffles. I recently upgraded to Waring WMK600 Double Belgian Waffle Maker (at a unbeatable price!) and I LOVE it! It is FAST, and makes FLUFFY waffles!