Yes, I made this again with some changes– increasing ingredients portions to1.5 times of original recipe to fit my tart pan. I also remembered to toast the ground almond this time; it does make a difference. I found the tart tastes much better the next day with the rum adding depth to the flavor.
Tarte aux Noix Recipe (makes 1 tart of 9.5 inch diameter)
1 cup cake flour
5 tbsp ground almond (with skin)– toasted
3 tbsp sugar
5 tbsp unsalted butter (room temp.)
2 tbsp beaten egg (see note below in almond cream ingredients)
2 tbsp cake flour
1 cup ground almond(with skin)– toasted
1/2 cup brown sugar
9 tbsp unsalted butter (room temp.)
1 1/2 beaten egg (I beated 2 eggs in a bowl, scooped 2 tbsp for tart shell and used the remaining for almond cream)
4-5 tbsp raisin– soaked in rum, drained but keep the rum
4-5 tbsp chopped walnuts– toasted
2 tbsp rum (I used the ones that I soaked the raisin with)
extra almond flakes to sprinkle on top
apricot jam for glazing
Make tart shell:
- Combine cake flour and ground almond then set aside. Using a whisk, cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Slowly add beaten egg, whisk to combine.
- Sift in 1/3 of flour mixture. Using a spatula gently mix the flour on the top, then press down the flour to the bottom of the bowl to combine. Repeat with the remaining flour in 2 batches. When all mixture starts to form a dough, take it out and shape it to a ball with both hands (avoid kneading the dough!).
- Put the round dough between 2 pieces of plastic wrap, roll it out large enough to fit tart pan. Remove plastic wrap and transfer the dough to tart pan and fold inwards any extra dough so all sides have same thickness.
- Brush the edge with egg wash, prick the bottom of tart and blind bake at preheated 350°F oven for about 15 minutes. Cool the tart in the tart pan.
Make Tarte aux Noix:
- Cream butter and brown sugar with a whisk until fluffy. Slowly add beaten egg and whisk to combine.
- Add ground almond. Using a spatula, mix until all incorporated. Sift in cake flour and mix gently until just combined.
- Add raisin, walnuts and rum and mix gently.
- Pour filling into baked tart shell. Smooth the surface and sprinkle almond flakes on the top.
- Bake at preheated 350°F oven for 40 minutes until almond cream is nicely browned. Cool in the pan on the rack. When completely cool, glaze tart with apricot jam.