Pandan is a screwpine plant that is very fragrant and often used in making dessert in South East Asia. Since I can’t get fresh pandan juice here in US, I use pandan extract that has green coloring to it, and thus giving this cake a bright green color. My American friends don’t know pandan so they just call this cake “The Green Cake”. It is fluffy and moist, just like biting into air infused with coconut and pandan fragrant… mmm…my all time favorite.
Pandan Chiffon Cake Recipe (adapted from Yochana’s Cake Delight)
Ingredients (egg yolk mixture):
6 egg yolks
1/4 cup sugar
4 tbsp cooking oil
1 small can coconut milk (164 ml)
1/2 tsp pandan extract (green- I used butterfly brand)
1 cup cake flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
Ingredients (egg white mixture):
6 egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1/3 cup sugar
- Preheat oven 335°F. Combine flour, baking powder and salt then set aside.
- Hand whisk egg yolks and sugar until fluffy and pale in color, about 4-5 minutes. Add in coconut milk, oil and pandan extract and mix well.
- Sift in flour mixture and mix until well blended.
- Whisk egg whites until foamy, add cream of tartar and beat for a little while. Gradually add in sugar and beat on high speed till peaks form (reduce to med speed later to avoid big air bubbles).
- FOLD IN 1/3 of egg white into egg yolk mixture gently with a spatula until just blended. FOLD IN remaining 2/3 of egg white into the egg yolk mixture. Take care not to over blended.
- Pour the batter into a chiffon cake pan. Lightly smooth the top and bake for 45 minutes. Do not open the oven door while it’s baking or the cake won’t rise.
- Invert the cake IMMEDIATELY after baking to let cool. Remove the cake from the pan when it is completely cool.