If you don’t want to fuss making the filling only for this Malaysian snack, use sambal dried shrimp ‘hae bee hiam’ instead. It won’t taste quite the same, but just as delicious…
Sambal Gluten Rice Sandwich Recipe
3 cups gluten rice
1 tsp ground turmeric powder
1oo ml thick coconut milk
1 tbsp sugar
filling (blend together):
5 shallots– peeled
2 cloves garlic
1/2 cup dried shrimps– soaked
5 dried chillies– soaked
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp curry powder
chicken floss– optional
- Wash rice then add turmeric powder, soak in water overnight. Drain.
- Steam rice on high heat for 20 minutes. Add coconut milk, sugar and salt then stir well. Place rice back to steamer for another 30 minutes.
- Add 1 tbsp oil into pan, saute filling on high heat until aromatic. Add seasoning and stir well. Dish out.
- While the rice is still hot, scoop half of if and spread at the bottom of a square pan, press firmly. Spread sambal filling evenly on the top, follow by chicken floss, if using.
- Spread the remaining rice on the top evenly and press firmly. Cut into pieces and serve.
When I cut it into pieces, the rice tends to stick to the knife and keeps comes off… could it because I used too much coconut milk (I used a small can of 165ml) and thus making the rice too greasy?… will try next time with less coconut milk.