65 C TangZhong Raisin Wheat Loaf 65C湯種葡萄乾麥片麵包 (makes one 2-lb loaf)
1/4 cup bread flour
6 tbsp milk, plus 2 tbsp
6 tbsp whipping cream
3 cups bread flour
1 cup wheat flour
2 1/2 tsp dry yeast
6 tbsp sugar
3 tbsp milk powder
1 tsp salt
4 tbsp unsalted butter– melted
1 cup raisins
2-3 tbsp black brown sugar 黑糖
dashes of cinnamon powder
- Prepare bread starter: Combine bread flour and water in a small sauce pan. Blend well with a balloon whisk over medium low heat (whisk continuously). When the mixture thicken slightly, reduce to lowest heat setting while whisking continuously, until the mixture reaches 65 degree C. The consistency will be like condensed milk. Remove from heat and cool before using.
- While bread starter is cooling, beat egg in a bowl, then add in 6 tbsp of milk and whipping cream. Mix well.
- Combine bread flour and wheat flour. When measuring be sure to use a knife to scrap off extra flours so you have a leveled cup.
- Put all bread starters the bottom of bread machine loaf pan, followed by egg mixture.
- Add flours to loaf pan. Make a indent in the middle, and add dry yeast to the indent. Add sugars, milk powder and salt to different corners of the loaf pan.
- For Zojirushi bread maker (model Zojirushi BB-PAC20), press HOME MADE button and set timing as follow and press START: Rest: OFF–> Knead: 25 min –> Shape: OFF –> Rise 1: 45 min –> Rise 2: 30 min –> Rise 3: 1hour –> Bake: OFF –> Keep Warm: OFF
- 1-2 minutes after the knead cycle starts, add in 2 tbsp milk (the dough will be very wet– add more milk if needed). Add melted butter and raisins in 3-4 batches before knead cycle completes.
- When the final rise cycle is completed, transfer bread dough to a lightly floured surface. Gently roll out to 15 x 13 rectangle. Sprinkle black brown sugar and cinnamon evenly. Roll the doug up like a jelly roll, pinch the end to seal.
- Transfer dough to a greased Pullman loaf pan (do not use lid), cover with plastic wrap and let it rise almost to the rim.
- Brush top with whipping cream, and bake in preheated 350F oven, middle rack, for 45 minutes. Remove from the pan. The bread should be nice and brown, with a hollow sound when tap the bottom.
- Cool bread completely on a rack before slicing. To keep bread moist for longer time, put bread in a Ziplog bag then inside bread box.
- Bread starter: I like to use 65C TangZhong method. It’s a bit more work but really produces breads that keep moist and soft for a longer time.
- Bread machine: There is a bread button on my bread machine Zojirushi BB-PAC20, but I manually program the knead and rise time because it makes softer and fluffy breads. You can still use the same recipe but change the method/setting according to your bread machine manual. Be sure to cut down the ingredients if your machine has only 1 lb capacity (small loaf).