Coconut & Chocolate Chip Muffins Recipe (makes 12 pieces)
2 cups all purpose flour
4 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tbsp baking powder
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
1 small can (5.6 oz) coconut milk
1/2 cup oil
2 tbsp golden rum
bittersweet chocolate chips (about 4-5 chips per muffin)
Sweetened shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease muffin pan with cooking spray.
- Sift flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, sugar and salt into a big bowl. Stir in shredded coconut.
- Combine eggs, coconut milk, oil and golden rum in a medium bowl. Mix to blend well.
- Pour egg mixture to flour mixture. Fold together with a spatula until just combined.
- Spoon batter into muffin molds, about 1/3 full. Add in chocolate chips (about 4-5 chips in each muffin mold), then cover with more batter. Sprinkle top with some shredded coconut.
- Bake at preheated oven for 18-20 minutes or until the tops spring back when gently pressed with a finger.
- Remove from muffin molds and cool on a rack. Serve warm.
- Baking time: I baked for 22 minutes but found out the muffins were a little dry. So maybe 18-20 minutes?
- Flavor: Full of chocolate flavor, not too sweet, but didn’t taste any rum nor coconut flavor other than from the topping.
- Texture: the texture was okay, not super fluffy that I was looking for.