Sweet Fresh Corn Fritters Recipe
1 ear corn
1 cup flour
1/2 cup rice flour– see note below
2 tsp tapioca starch– see note below
4 tbsp sugar– see note below
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
- Use a knife to shave corn kennels from the cob, then use the back of the knife to scrap down the cob to get pulps and juice. Set aside.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl. Add water the whisk until smooth. Stir in corn kennels, pulps and juice.
- Gently drop tablespoons of batter into hot oil in several batches. Deep fry until corn fritters are golden brown. Turn down heat to medium if fritters brown too fast. Drain on a rack or paper towel. Serve immediately.
- Canned corn kennels can be used if fresh corn is not available.
- Rice flour and tapioca starch: addition of rice flour makes the fritters crispy but produces a harder dough texture, thus tapioca starch is used to make the dough softer.