I got some precooked Jonah crab claws at Safeway when it was on sale. Instead of dipping the crab meat in clarified butter or cooking it Malaysian buttery curry style, I decide to try something new~~ Singapore black pepper style! I did a very last minute recipe search online and used this recipefor reference.
OMG it was so good! For the mount of the crab claws I used, I think I put a bit too much peppercorns(on top of 4 red hot peppers in it)… It was VERY peppery and spicy, and yet I just couldn’t help licking the sauce on the shells, on my fingers (yes, it requires all ten fingers!). Now I have another delicious crab recipe on file :-). Next time I will try the recipe with fresh Dungeness crabs instead of pre cooked crab claws; I’m sure the flavor will get even better.
Black Pepper Crabs Recipe (adapted from here, serves 4 people)
3 lbs precooked Jonah crab claws– see note below
4 slices fresh ginger– cut into thin strips
2 cloves garlic– minced
4 small red hot pepper– chopped
6-8 fresh curry leaves
3 tbsp oil
2 tbsp butter
Spices mix (combined together and grind fine, but not super fine):
1 1/2 tbsp black peppercorns
1 1/2 tbsp white peppercorns
1/4 tsp coriander seeds
Sauce mix (mix well to dissolve sugar, set aside):
3 tbsp sugar
3 tbsp oyster sauce
3 tbsp ketchap manis– see note below
4 tbsp hot water
- Make a few cracks on each claws if they are not cracked previously. Pat dry with a paper towel. If you prepare ahead of time, place cracked claws in bowl/container lined with paper towel. Cover and chill in the fridge. Bring to room temperature when you are ready to cook.
- Heat up a wok on high heat. Add oil, butter, ginger, garlic, red hot pepper and curry leaves. Fry until butter melts and the flavor comes out. Add crab claws and stir fry for a minute.
- Add in ground spices, stir to distribute evenly. Cook for another minute or until crab claws are heated through.
- Add in sauce mix, stir a few more times. Add a few more tbsp of hot water if you prefer more sauce. Dish out. Serve immediately.
- Crab claws: I used precooked crab claws this time because that was what I had at that time. However, I don’t suggest using frozen precooked crabs/crab claws as they usually taste nothing like crab– salty, tasteless, rubbery etc. I got lucky is time as my frozen precooked Jonah crab claws still tasted like crab. Fresh live crabs are the BEST for this recipe because of its fresh seafood flavor. If fresh crabs are used in this recipe, cut crabs into chunks, then follow the steps and cook crabs until it is just cooked through. Then add in sauce mix, stir for a few times before dishing out.
- Ketchap manis: This can be found in Asian grocery stores, in South East Asia food section. It is a thick morsel sauce, black in color and tastes sweet (‘ketchap manis’ means sweet sauce in Malay/Indonesian)