When I saw the original recipe and photos from Rasa Malaysia, it looks really delicious so I gave it a try. As with many other recipes, I always tweak around it by adding more stuff to the ingredient list. Need a new flavor for your chicken dish? Try out this recipe!
Szechuan (Sichuan) Roasted Chicken Recipe
6 bone-in chicken thighs (skin on)
2 tsp salt
1 tbsp cooking wine
2 tablespoon Szechuan peppercorns
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon salt
2 tbsp honey
2 tbsp soy sauce
3 cloves of garlic
1/2 tsp ground cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp chicken bouillon powder
1/2 tsp rice vinegar
4 tablespoons of oil
1/4 tsp sesame oil
- Clean chicken and pat dry with paper towels. Season with salt and cooking wine.
- Toast Sichuan peppercorns and black pepper in a dry cleaning pan until aromatic, then use a coffee/spice grinder to grind until very fine.
- Add grind peppercorns, and remaining marinade ingredients in a blender and blend until the paste is thick and smooth.
- Rub the paste all over the chicken and let it marinate for at least 1 hour(tip from original recipe: put chicken and spice rub in a Ziploc bag, seal then rub to coat well).
- Put chicken on a rack on top of a shallow pan (so the chicken oil drip into the pan), bake at preheated 400°F oven for 10 minutes, then lower oven temperature to 375°F and continue roasting for another 30-45 minutes or until the chicken is cook through.