Saute Spicy Chicken Hearts 酱爆鸡心 Recipe
1 lb chicken hearts
3 stalks celery
3 cloves garlic– chopped
2-3 hot red peppers– chopped
1 inch ginger– peeled and shredded
1 piece five spice press tofu 五香豆干 (optional)– cut into strips
3 tbsp thick soy sauce 酱油膏
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1/4 tsp chicken bouillon powder
1 tbsp rice wine
- Trim off excess fat and the top part of chicken hearts. Butterfly and make some slits on exterior side of the hearts.
- Remove stringy fiber of celery, and cut into slightly less than 1/4 inch slices.
- Poach celery in boiling water for a few seconds to remove the celery flavor, drain. Then poach chicken hearts for 30 seconds, adding 1 tbsp rice wine (extra) to the poaching water. Drain.
- Heat up 1 tbsp oil in a wok on high heat. Saute tofu strips until slightly brown. Move to the side of the wok but remain the heat.
- Add in 2 tbsp oil, saute ginger, red peppers and garlic until aromatic and spicy. Add in chicken hearts and seasoning. Stir everything to mix well, until the chicken hearts are just cooked. Add in celery, make a quick stir then dish out. Serve immediately.
- The wok must be very hot while sauteing this dish in order taste the “flavor/spirit of the wok 镬气” . If cooked right, the chicken heats taste tender almost like pork kidney. Don’t over cook or it will be tough.
- If you cook chicken hearts without poaching ahead, this dish will become watery as the liquid draws out from chicken hearts during cooking process.
- Just like sauteing other internal organs, rice wine is always a must and seasoning is always heavier than average to yield a very flavorful dish.