Bamboo Shoots Stewed Pork 竹笋烧肉 Recipe
2 lbs pork butt 梅头肉– cut into chunks– see note below
1 lb frozen chunk bamboo shoots 绿竹笋
1 honey date 蜜枣
2 stalks green onion
2 inches ginger– crushed
5 cloves garlic– crushed
2 star anise 八角
1 piece cinnamon stick 桂皮
1 stick rock candy stick 冰片糖
1 hot pepper (optional– skip for non-spicy version)
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 tbsp dark soy sauce (optional)
3 tbsp rice cooking wine
1/2 tsp five spice powder
6 cups water
- Prepare stew sauce: Boil all ingredients in a pot, covered, on high heat for 15 minutes for the flavor to com out.
- Cut meat into 1-inch chunks. Blanch, rinse and add to the stew sauce. Cook on high heat for 5 minutes, then turn down to medium heat. Partially covered, cook for about 1 hour until the meat are tender but not falling apart. Stir occasionally. Add more water if liquid is drying too fast. Remove the meat when it is done.
- While the meat is stewing, Slice bamboo shoots to 1/4-inch thickness. Blanch in boiling water then strain.
- Add in sliced bamboo shoot to stew sauce, cook on medium heat for 15-20 minutes. The stew sauce should almost covers bamboo shoots. Add more water if necessary. Return meat to the pot and stir to combine.
- Pork Butt: I use combination of 2/3 pork butt and 1/3 pork belly.