Salted Yolk Cookies~ one of the new cookies (the other one is Seaweed Cookies) I made this year for CNY. Salted yolk refers to the yolk of an salted egg. I love salted yolk. I can’t believe I waited this long to try out this recipe. The cookies are flaky and not too grainy. Even my family that ewes at salted yolk loves the cookies. One tip~ because of the richness of salted yolks, I suggest to keep the cookie size small (preferably one small bite size), and serve with a cup of tea.
Salted Yolk Cookies 鹹蛋黄酥餅
1 cup flour
1 tbsp tapioca starch
1/2 tbsp milk powder
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 stick unsalted butter– softened
1/4 cup sugar
3 cooked salted egg yolks– warmed up and mashed
20 leaves curry leaves– very thinly julienned
- Combine flour, tapioca starch, milk powde and baking powder. Sift and set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Mix in salted yolks and curry leaves with a spatula.
- Add in flour mixture. Use a spatula to mix and press, until all incorporated.
- Form dough to a disc and wrap tightly with plastic wrap. Rest in the fridge to harden so it’s easier to handle.
- Slightly dusted a work surface with flour. Roll out harden dough to 5mm thickness, anc cut out with a cookie cutter.
- Apply egg wash and bake in preheated 350 F oven for 12-15 minutes. Cool on a rack, then store in air tight container when completely cooled.