This is one of the Chinese New Year goodies I made this year. The result– you can taste the green peas flavor but a bit too sweet. Not too bad considering it’s my first attempt… will improve upon next trial.
Green Pea Cookies Recipe from “New Year Cookies” by Alan Ooi:
1 cup flour
1 cup grounded green peas
1 cup icing sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup vegetable oil
Glazing: 1 beaten egg yolk
- Preheat oven to 325° F.
- Combine all ingredients (except egg yolk). Mix well to form a dough– if the dough is too dry can a little more oil.
- Roll the dough into small balls (1 inch diameter). Place balls onto baking sheet and use finger to gently press down to form a disc. Alternatively you can also roll out the dough between 2 sheets and use cookie cutter to cut out the shape.
- Glaze the top with beaten egg yolk. Bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Cool on the rack. Store in air tight container.
- I find the cookies are little too sweet to my liking… will cut down icing sugar to maybe 3/4 cup next time?
- I gounded the green peas using food processor and there were some big chunks of green peas left. Will try to ground the peas using coffee grinder next time to see if it will be more fine texture.
- For glazing: next time use beaten egg yolk plus few drops of water so it won’t be too thick.