If you think cookies are all sweet, think again. These heavenly delicious cookies are not the regular ones you eat. They combine the aroma of garlic and fried shallot, with the nutty flavor from the cheese and a little spiciness from chili flakes. Once you have one, you’re hooked.
Garlic Shallot Cookies (adapted from Yochana’s Cake Delight)
11 tbsp butter – softened
1/3 cup sugar
1/8 tsp. salt
3 cloves garlic – finely minced
2 tsp. dried chilli flakes
3-4 tbsp fried shallots – drain the oil and crush
4 oz cheese – finely grated
1 1/2 cup flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
- Mix flour, salt, baking powder and chili flakes in a bowl until blended.
- Cream butter and sugar till creamy. Add in egg and mix well.
- Stir in garlic, fried shallot, cheese. Pour in flour mixture and mix to form a dough.Chill in the fridge for 20 minutes before rolling into round balls.
- Use a fork to press the top to get some patterns on it.
- Bake at preheat oven 325°F for about 15-18 minutes or till crispy.
- Store in cookie containers.
- I used mild cheddar cheese and it will give the cookies some orange look. I also found asiago cheese is good too if you like the smell of asiago cheese– the cookies will have a nutty flavor.
- There are several ways to shape the cookies– I found the quickest way is to shape the cookie dough into cylinder shape then slice them evenly (must be chilled first for easy slicing) right before putting into the oven. Or you can use a cookie cutter, it’s prettier but more time consuming.
- The thickness of the cookies is about 5mm for a crispy texture. Please adjust the oven temperature and baking time if you prefer thicker cookies.
- Chili flakes can be substituted by chili powder, or you can skip it for a non spicy version.