This a new cookie recipe that I tried out during the holiday cookie bake maniac. It is very crunchy, but if you prefer your cookies a bit on the chewy side then bake them for a shorter time (maybe 15 minutes?). I find the cookies are still a little too sweet, so I will cut down on the sugars next time.
Coconut Crunch (makes at least 5 dozens)
2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp baking powder
3 tbsp dry milk powder
3 cups unsweetened desiccated coconut
1 cup sugar– should cut down to 3/4 cup
1 cup packed brown sugar– should cut down to 3/4 cup
2 sticks (4 oz each) butter– softened
- Sift flour, baking soda, baking powder and milk powder together. Stir in desiccated coconut and mix well.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter, brown sugar and sugar until fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time.
- Add in flour mixture slowly and mix well.
- take some dough and roll in your palm to a form a 1-inch diameter ball. Place the dough ball on the baking sheet, 2 inches apart (as cookies spread out flat during baking). Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Bake in preheated 300°F oven for 18 minutes, turning half way to brown cookies evenly if necessary. Let cookies cool in the tray for 5 minutes before transferring to rack to cool completely. Store in air tight container.
- If the cookies are not baked enough they will have a chewy texture– simply return to the 300°F oven and bake for a few more minutes until cookies are browned and crunchy.