This egg tart recipe is not too sweet, and it uses cream cheese for the crust. Speaking of crust, I always hesitated when it comes to making crust because I always think it’s messy and lots of cleanup. However, this crust is easy to make using only 2 bowls (1 medium and 1 large)– yeah… less scrubbing for me!
Egg Tart Recipe (makes 12 pieces)— recipe from my neighbor Auntie Wang:
3 oz soften cream cheese
4 oz butter
1 cup flour
3 eggs + 1 egg yolk
1 1/4 cup milk
1/3 cup sugar (1/2 cup if you like it sweeter)
2-3 drops of vanilla extract
- Put butter in a medium bowl and microwave until butter melts. Put flour into a big bowl.
- Cut cream cheese into pieces and stir into melted butter till no big chunks of cream cheese left.
- Pour cream cheese mixture into flour and mix well to form a dough. The dough shouldn’t stick to the edge of the bowl. Add in a bit more flour if the dough is too sticky.
- Divide dough into 12 portions and press each into a muffin mold. Preheat oven to 375° F.
- For the filling, beat the eggs and yolk and pour into milk to mix well. Add vanilla extract and sugar, continue whisking until sugar dissolves.
- Filter egg mixture into prepared crusts. Baked at medium low rack of the oven for 20 minutes.
- Leave the tarts in the oven with oven door slightly open for a few minutes before taking them out. Remove from molds and cool on the rack.